Emotions and thyroid
mind body counselling
In a my Mind Body counselling sessions, assessment is made of the whole person … and various other professionals and tests may become involved. Other health issues maybe underlying your emotional status.
When you notice that you’re feeling more emotional than you felt previously and that your moods change, rapidly and unpredictably… You may need to dig a little deeper.
Your Thyroid may need some attention!
Thyroid emotional symptoms:
- Anxiety – a feeling of nervousness, with butterflies, heart racing and trembling
- Under activity
- Depression – low mood and difficulty enjoying things, tearfulness, loss of appetite and disturbed sleep
- Anxiety – this can be a result of the thyroid condition itself or from worries about managing the things that are expected of them in daily life
- Mood swings – irritability, snappiness or short-temper which people often call ‘moodiness’
- Sleeping difficulties
Mental health, or cognitive, problems that can occur, most often with thyroid underactivity, include:
- Difficulties with concentration
- Short-term memory lapses
- Lack of interest and mental alertness
Apart from conducting blood tests with your health professional, it is necessary to consider a whole approach to this issue and identifying and mitigating triggers that may be exacerbating your condition, whether they be emotional or physical. Under stress, the body releases the hormone cortisol. Too much cortisol can interfere with thyroid hormone production: It can stimulate the thyroid to work harder to create sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone. Diet is another important factor; recent research has shown that diet can indeed reduce your thyroid antibodies. If you would like to learn more about Diet and Thyroid